Monday, June 6, 2011

Ayam Masak Kicap

Sometimes what I make for dinner comes as a complete accident. This is one of those dinners. 

Whenever I see something good on a blog or website, I file it away in a special Gmail folder for recipes and blog ideas. Having about 15 minutes left until work was over, I opened up the folder to find a certain recipe I thought was in the folder. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I happened to open up this recipe and I knew I had to make it: Ayam Masak Kicap. 

Don't let the name fool you. Yes, it's Malaysian, but it's the easiest recipe. The author even said her father wouldn't consider it a recipe because of the simplicity. While I wouldn't go that far, I have to say, I am going to be making this dish again and again. Not only is it easy and cheap to make, it packs a punch of flavor. Plus, I get to use my big wok, which is always fun.

Ayam Masak Kicap
[adapted from this recipe]
1.5-2 chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
5 T light soy sauce
3 T sugar
1 tsp. white pepper
Sesame seeds (optional)
Parboiled white rice

Heat 2 tsp. of oil in wok and cook chicken until browning. Add in soy sauce, sugar, and pepper. Cook on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes until sauce simmers and thickens. If desired, add in sesame seeds. Serve chicken over bed of rice (I prefer brown or parboiled white), pouring leftover sauce over chicken and rice, serving immediately. Serves 2-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...