Phew! We just finished the first phase of what's probably going to go down as my favorite house project we've done to date. Operation: kill vine and paint house is under way.
This is what our house looked like before we purchased it. You'll see there's a huge vine growing up the side of the house. While it may look pretty, it was really not good for our house. This vine was vicious.
So, a few months ago, we chopped the vine near the roots and started to kill it. After a month or so, the whole vine was nice and dead. Honestly, taking it off the house didn't take that much work. Luckily it came off in chunks.
The big task was chipping off any loose paint over and above what the vine took off the siding and sanding it down.
The vine wasn't only on the front, it was on the back as well. I understand how pretty it was, but it wasn't going to be good long term.
After prepping both surfaces, we got to work. We went to our favorite place, Sherwin Williams, and picked up a gallon of Duration paint. This exterior paint has primer in it, so you don't have to paint in steps. It saved a ton of headache.
I'm so happy with the results. Next up will be match up the trim and painting the front and back pieces.
We thought this project would be super overwhelming, but it only took about an hour or so to do both places. We're very pleased with the results!