Saturday, September 5, 2009

Quiche the Cook

Pheewww! Over the past couple of days, I've actually made a couple of really tasty things. While for the most part my roommates and I end up eating separate meals or semi-seperate meals, I try to make us all dinner at least once a week (since my seasonal work at the bookstore is over, I've got more time to plan, etc. so this will probably happen more often.)

This past weekend I made a quiche that was pretty awesome. My mom had made a loaded one (with spinach, mushrooms, bacon, tomato), but since I have picky-eater roommates (how did this happen???), my quiche had ham, cheese, and green onions.


It's so simple and really turned out easy. Pie shell, 7 medium eggs (could have used less if they we larger), splash of milk, 1.5 green onions, 4 sliced of ham lunch meat (As my mom said, blot excess moisture out of any meat in quiche because it makes it soggy), about half a bag of cheese. It was perfect because there was just enough left over for a slice the next morning!

This weekend, I really was craving some eggplant stacks. This summer when eggplants were in high season, we found this recipe in Southern Sideboards. With few ingredients and such a great flavor, it's pretty amazing. A medium eggplant (washed, peeled, and cut into half inch slices), tomato (washed and sliced), onion (sliced), parmesan cheese, and Italian breadcrumbs.
Though you may not be able to find it, to me, I find that this is absolutely perfect with Great Harvest's Spinach and Feta bread. Ho-ley moly. I pretty much do it bruschetta-style, taking a stack on top of a slice of bread and smash it down a bit on the slice. (Sidenote: We also bought GH's special Labor Day bread "Red, White, and Blueberry." The bread consists of cranberries, white chocolate and blueberries. It's to die for.)

Right in the pan...

Right on a piece of GH bread.

Spike definitely seems to live it too!

3 comments:

  1. You fed that to Spike? Shame on you!!I would have loved to have tasted that concoctation, (sp)

    Betty Boop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that too... that maybe he was trying to sweat off more pounds... But then I thought, 'maybe he's just now taken up running as a new hobby.' He got up, got dressed, went out to do a little shopping and then immediately thought 'I could run everywhere I need to go today.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That eggplant stuff looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...