Monday, March 16, 2015

How I Got A $6,400 Mid-Century Sofa For Less Than $500

We're nearing the one year mark on owning our home which means for almost a year now, our front living room has been empty (see progress pictures here). We've had other projects we wanted to work on and, honestly, I couldn't find what I wanted. Where we live, it's hard to find mid-century modern furniture without paying a royal fortune (and that's when you can find it).

Step forward to last week. I went into one of the home decor consignment stores I visit from time to time and lamented to the ladies in the store that I still couldn't find a good sofa. One of them told me they'd seen one recently posted by another store, but it had been a few weeks and, oh, it was orange. "BUT THAT'S WHAT I WANT," I said and furiously looked it up on my phone. 

And I died a little bit on the inside because this was the photo posted:


Let me tell you, your mind will do irrational things when you want something. I was on a mission. I envisioned someone swooping in right before I could get there. I went out to my car and gave them a call. The sofa was STILL THERE and currently going for $560. That night, I showed Paul the photos and he liked it. I went the next day to look at it, haggled with them and bought the sofa for $485. I was pretty happy with myself.

I started searching online because I knew this was an incredible piece. This is what I found:


Oh, you know, a refurbished and reupholstered version for $6,400 online. Ours, to our knowledge, has the original fabric.

Here was another similar model we found:


I couldn't have been more proud of this purchase.


And the cat approves.

Can't wait to show you how the front room is finally shaping up!

2 comments:

  1. You are the master of great finds. Check out my photo of me planking on it on my blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...