Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Farmer's Market and THOSE Tamales

This year, I have started going to the Farmer's Market downtown on Thursday evenings. I love the atmosphere, the free samples, and all of the good food and friends there. However, there was one booth I never dared to try- the tamale booth.

The tamale booth is a crux of the farmer's market. EVERYONE gets the tamales. Behind a plain plastic table loaded with arsenals of tamales (ok, huge industrial size pots), is a spicy Latina woman saying, "Hey mama, come get some tamales! Try the free salsa! Hey papa! I know you want to try too." However, I have been too scared to buy any. Somehow, between the big pots, "mama," and the cakes (Oh, those cakes, I'll get to that later) I have been too intimidated. Today, I decided to try it.

My, oh, my. I've converted. I'll always buy her pork tamales as long as I shop at the Downtown Hattiesburg Farmer's Market. They are perfect!

After closer examination of this picture, it looks somewhat like what I picture a huge joint looking like. NOTE: THIS IS NOT MAR-I-JU-ANA.*

At her table you can choose between pork (what I got), chicken, vegetable, and cheese. I have to say, I think I am going to stick with the pork.

Oh, did I mention that the tamales are only $2.50 each? Sold!

Now, what I think I might conquer next week is her CAKE. I can't even accurate describe to you how huge her cakes are. She makes these huge cakes the size of an 18-wheeler tire (no lie) and sells this by the slice. She is known for her almond cake but she also has (as I am told but other vendors) an awesome chocolate and coconut cake. I will have to see about that.

I also got a loaf of carrot blueberry bread. Yum! Last week I bought muffins from this table that were orange, carrot, and blueberry that were really very good. I'm not a huge citrus fan so I think this might be even better! I'll let you guys know.

And last but not least, I got some goobers.

I do love some boiled peanuts. Though I love my tamales and bread, boiled peanuts have a special place in my heart.

Have a great end to the week and visit your local farmer's market this weekend!

*Maybe as addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...