Sunday, July 13, 2014

Project: Guest Bathroom

I have to be honest, the bathrooms were never the selling point in our new house for me. Paul likes to remind me this is still just like "putting lipstick on a pig," and he's totally right. Call this Phase 1. Right now, this tub has the "shower" as a hose that screws into the faucet. With the tile only going half of the way up, I'd be nervous for there to be water on the sheetrock if anyone took a stand up shower. So, in Phase 2, we're definitely continuing the tile the rest of the way up. Here's what it looked like when we were first looking at the house:


One perk of moving is that companies buy lists of new homebuyers and send them coupons. We've gotten a huge free dinner at Whole Foods (that we got at least five meals for the both of us out of), yard mosquito spraying discounts, and a free gallon of paint. We're spoiled because my brother-in-law works for Sherwin Williams and we get a great discount. But, I'm not turning a free gallon of paint down!

Paul and I discussed what we wanted to do next and while at first I wanted to do our bedroom, we were having family over for dinner the next day and we didn't think we'd have enough time to finish. Plus, this is the bathroom that guests would probably be using.

I wish I had some better progress pictures because this bathroom really needed work. This whole house obviously used to be covered in wallpaper and it's never been fully removed. In the bathroom, sections were curling on the ends. Luckily though, there were a few places I was able to remove in sheets. We had a TON of patching to do, but I think over all it turned out great.
This mirror is my favorite thing in the bathroom. This had been over our hutch in the dining room, but I love it in the bathroom.
 The shower curtain is something a found on clearance at Target a year ago or so for $13. I'm not a huge chevron-all-over person, but I like it like this in small doses. Towels are some of my favorite from World Market (similar).
 I still have tons of art/prints to hang and I love this one from our friend Kate Whitley (you can see her stuff here).
All in all, we were able to re-do this bathroom for nothing more than some sweat equity and it already looks so much better. Here's to the next project!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little envious of how quickly you are able to get stuff done! :) I love seeing it though, so keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about buying an older house is the fun and creativity you have. I think everyone needs something to want and so don't try to finish everything at once--just enjoy each project to the fullest. Just like life itself.
    MaMaw

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...