Thursday, January 7, 2010

I think I've figured out why I was lacking so much in the blog department at the end of last year: too many steps in the photo taking, downloading, rotating, uploading process! By utilizing the BlogPress app on my phone and using my phone's camera (which really takes a good enough quality picture) the pictures are already there and ready for a post.

So, before mixing up and baking our meatloaf, I decided to take a crack (quitely literally) at our acorn squash. For me, like most Southerners and probably most Americans, acorn squash seemed pretty exotic. I mean, it's pointy, has seeds like a pumpkin, yet looks as hard as a brick. So I always passed it in the grocery store, feeling pity for the veggie that I'm sure was looked over a hundred times that day.

For about two years now, I've been reading a health food blog by Kath Eats and she cooked acorn squash on a regular basis and actually LIKED it. But I was only seeing this squash from the comfort of my own computer screen, so when I was in the produce department today I finally decided to give it a try.


I don't know why I'm surprised when I taste good, real food anymore. I just can't believe I've been missing out on this guy! I'd say it's closer to a sweet potato in texture but less sweet (actually was similar in sweet level to purple sweet potato). This is what expanding your horizons is for, right?

Roasted Acorn Squash
1 small acorn squash
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking spray

Cut squash in half "hamburger" style and scoop out all seeds and membrane (I used our new Kitchenaid chef knife and it's fabulous). Cut each half again to quarter it. Slice into thin 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices. Place on greased cookies sheet. Spray top of squash with cooking spray and add salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 400* for 20 minutes on each side.

Enjoy!
-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Your Acorn squash looks good. I have baked it cut in hale-your method is faster cut in slices. I had forgotten the "little fellow". I will buy one soon. I have baked butternut squash too.

    Betty Boop

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...