Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Best Thing I Ever Ate

It's hard for me to even type these words. Both because I just had one of the best culinary experiences of my life and also because that experience rendered me FULL.

I've been dying to try Parlor Market, one of the newest restaurants to open up lately downtown. It's a block from my office, so there was no reason to not try it. With a lunch meeting today in need of a venue, Parlor Market was suggested and I was more than happy to check it out.

Walking in the door and upon being seated, one of the most interesting menus I've ever read was brought out.

If you can't read the font, click to expand because you'll definitely want to take a look. Salads, tacos, sandwiches and some of the neatest Southern fusion appetizers.


Note to self: Must got back and try the veggie sandwich and the chicken sandwich.

I love the open-ness of the kitchen in the back. The neatest thing about the place is that everything is handmade... even the ketchup.

Our waiter told us all about the decor and how everything pays homage to the Parlor Market that was in the same building over 100 years ago. The floors are from an old plantation in Louisiana; at one time there was a leather shop at this location, so they've incorporated leather with seating, etc.; and they have hidden meat hooks (homage to the Parlor Market that was a butcher shop) in the padding of some of the seating. Love all the details.

We started off with deviled eggs, which were fantastic. I know my family would love these because the yolks are mixed with comeback sauce.

I decided on the Shorty Tacos, which didn't disappoint. The slaw made it.

As if that wasn't enough, the dessert menus were brought out.

I got the Mason Jar Cake (if you know anything about me, you know I love the combo of Thanksgiving dinner and I'll eat it just about anywhere, any way it comes) and it was awesome. I wish it had actually been the cranberry sorbet as said on the menu, but the cinnamon/caramel ice cream that came with it was awesome. The best test of all, the coffee was wonderful. So smooth and good. I'd go in there just for a cup of that alone.

I cannot wait to go back with more people. The place is amazing! I love it because it's one of those places were you think, "I must be in a big city. This is too cool to even be here." Guess what? It's a block from of the office and I like it that way.

Parlor Market on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...