Monday, May 23, 2011

Fresh

There are a lot of reasons why I actually like living in Mississippi. One of them is the fruit and vegetable stands all around town that start popping up this time of year.
The bounty my mom and I purchased this weekend. Eggplant, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, okra, corn, bell pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes.
Yellow squash got sauteed Saturday night. I wish I had taken a photo of the okra, because it was the best okra I've ever tasted. Sauteed with cumin, it wasn't slimy and runny like you usually think of okra. It was actually a tip my mom got from a woman a few years ago at that same market (because, you know, us Mississippians like to talk and can share a recipe or two while we're at it with complete strangers).

How gorgeous is this tomato? Red and firm. Delicious. It got turned into the best Eggplant and Tomato Pizza I've ever made.
You know how you can tell when veggies are in season and they just taste better? Yeah, that was this.

Here's to a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely jealous of your loot!! Eggplant, squash, tomatoes...all soooo good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...