Monday, January 10, 2011

Smoky Oats

Ok, on to the Smoky Oat (or Boiled Cookies) recipe...

Smoky Oats
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1 stick of butter
4 (rounded) tablespoons cocoa powder
3 cups of quick-cook oatmeal
1/2 cup of peanut butter

Mix together first four ingredients and bring to a boil. When it comes to a rolling boil, boil for 1 minute. Take off heat and incorporate peanut butter. When PB is fully melted, stir in all oats. Drop by spoonful on to greased cookie sheet.

They are definitely a family favorite around here. After making Smoky Oats and weighing whether or not to stay at my parents' house in case of an ice storm, I decided to come back home because it didn't look like it was going to be as bad as they first predicted. So glad that I came home because we never lost power or water. Thank goodness!

I had all the ingredients for Red Beans and Rice, so I decided to go ahead and make it and have leftovers for the week.


Red Beans and Rice
1/2 cup of parboiled white rice
1 lb. turkey sausage
2 cans of red beans
Garlic and seasonings

Cook rice according to directions on package. I had to add a little water at the end. In the mean time, slice sausage and brown in dutch oven. Add two cans of red beans (I drain the cans halfway so there is still a little juice), ~ 1 clove of garlic, salt, pepper, and seasonings. I used a sprinkle of Tony Chachere's (for spice) and about 1 teaspoon of Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. It could have used a little hot sauce, but it was pretty good.

I honestly took the easy route by doing canned beans instead of dry beans. I am used to eating the recipe from dried beans, but I just didn't have time! This still tasted pretty great though.

Because of the weather and school closings, I got the message last night that the office was closing for the day. Who am I to stop them?

I've been enjoying my day off cleaning, washing sheets, working out and lounging around the house.

Kitty is loving that I'm home too!

I am also trying something different for the blog: adding pages! I'll be adding links to posted recipes, coupons, and other fun things.

1 comment:

  1. In all my many years of making boiled cookies, I have never thought to put them on a cookie sheet! My mom always put them on wax paper on the counter, so I never thought to do anything different...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...