Monday, March 21, 2011

Broccoli Slaw

This recipe and I go way back. It's so easy and tasty, I even made it in front of my speech class in college. True story. Our last assignment was to do a "how-to" of a recipe. I picked this recipe because it was easy, involved no cooking/baking, and my professor said he didn't like broccoli. It was my mission to get him to like broccoli.


When it suddenly turned summer on us this past weekend in the South, it was like I was teleported to barbecues,  summer parties, and family gatherings. Automatically, my brain went to broccoli slaw. 

Ok, I have to admit, when my mom and I went on our grocery excursion the other day, a bag of organic broccoli slaw was on manager's special for $.99. Add that with the two bags of Ramen noodles at $.20 a pop, we were sold.


First, add in bag of broccoli slaw and two green onions, chopped. While still in the bag, break up Ramen noodles into small pieces. Add noodles to the bowl, reserving the flavoring packets for the sauce. If you have them on hand (we did not), add in 1 cup of sliced almonds and 1 cup of unsalted sunflower seeds.


In another bowl, add in sugar, both packets of noodle flavoring, vinegar and oil.


Add sauce to dry mixture and stir. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. See? How easy is that?

Broccoli Slaw
1 bag of broccoli slaw
2 packages of Beef Ramen noodles
1 cup of almonds
1 cup of sunflower seeds
2 green onions, chopped

For vinaigrette:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 canola oil
1/2 white vinegar
2 packets from beef noodles

Combine onions, slaw, and nuts. Break up noodles in bag. Add noodles to dry mixture, reserving flavoring packets. In a small bowl add all wet ingredients, plus flavoring packets. Mix together and pour over dry mixture. Let sit for 30 minutes. 

I guarantee you'll like it. Why am I so confident? My professor loved it. So much so, he took home the recipe and two bowls of it - one for his wife and one for him.

Happy Monday, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...