Friday, March 18, 2011

Good to be Green

So what did I choose to paint? The blue lamp from my living room.

I have loved this lamp for the three years I've had it (including my early posts in my dorm room days). My talented cousin Ashley made the first of these lamps as a senior design project for one of her interior design classes.When we went up to her design open house at MSU, I told her I had to have one. Her lamp was definitely the best one in the class. Of course, she accepted and made me one (and yes, I did pay her!). I've never seen anything like it before or after it and I always get so many comments on it.

Thing is, I still love this lamp with all my heart, but I've been growing out of my blue ways. While it definitely popped in any room I put it in, I thought about just switching the color to match my ever changing style (one of the reasons why this design is so great). When I saw the sample offer for Valspar, I knew it would be a perfect time to pick a color for the lamp and it'd be the perfect amount of paint. Not to mention, FREE.

So, when I got home from work and saw the package, I immediately got to work.


Out in the backyard, I laid the lamp on newspaper and got ready. Will you please notice my growing herb garden?

Chives, cilantro, rosemary, and basil
Thanks for that...

Getting ready... mini rollers provided and small brushes to get in the many, many crevices. 


Here's how it turned out:


I love it! This picture makes the lamp look a lot brighter than it actually is because we were outside and the paint hadn't dried yet. It made me fall in love with the lamp all over again.

What did I think of the Valspar paint? I'm biased because that's the brand I normally use for painting my room, etc., but I loved it. It took two coats to cover the bright blue, but I'm digging the color. (Again, they didn't pay me to say that) More than anything, I loved the little roller kit, which actually gave a smooth coat, something I was really worried about.

What are you waiting for? Get your own sample and paint something yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...