Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recycle Bin Saga

Boy, have I got a story for you. 

Let me preface this by saying that it has been the biggest ordeal for me to get a recycling bin. I never thought it would be so hard. First time, the office was closed. It was Columbus Day and I though they'd be open, but they were obviously observing the holiday. Second time, they had temporarily run out. While they said they'd have them in a few hours, I was there on my lunch break and couldn't come back. Third time, I was going to drop by, but it was pouring down rain and there were no parking spots in sight within a four block radius (the office is next to the courthouse, city hall, and police headquarters and there is only metered parking and it's hard to ever find a spot) so I gave up. So, when I finally got a recycling bin from my grandparents home two weeks ago, I treasured it. Here's where the story comes in...
As I was saying, I was estatic to have one. After saving all of my recyclables and taking them to my parents house or Rainbow Co-op for six months, it was starting to get old. This chunk of plastic was a ray of sunshine in my life. So, I happily put it on the street for pickup this past week for the first time. Bad thing was, the girl on the other side of our duplex got rid of a lot of furniture items (old headboard, bookcase, floor lamp, etc.) which covered up the bin and it didn't get picked up. Because of the junk on top, I just assumed leave it there until the next pickup date.

As I'm pulling in from work last night (after a not so good work day to boot... let's just leave it at I had to chase a homeless person through the office), I see a man putting my recycling bin in the trunk of his car. I'm not kidding you. I get out of the car and tell him he is more than welcome to take any of the dumped big items, but please don't take our recycling bin or our garbage cans. Looking rather confused, I told him that green box with the City seal on it was our recycling bin and I'd really like to keep it. "Oh, haha, I thought you were giving it away because it was with this other pile." Um, no sir. I'm pretty sure you knew that was our recycling bin.

Yeah, so to add insult to injury, someone tried to steal my recycling bin. Which is funny, because I can tell the man where to get one free (and guilt-free).

Le sigh.

[On another note... Happy Mardi Gras, y'all! I was spoiled in college by being a short hour and half from New Orleans. Being in south Mississippi, they appreciated all things Cajun and Creole because the close proximity had spread a lot of the tradition. So when it came to Lundi Gras (Monday) and Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday), USM made them official holidays. My sophomore year, I was fortunate enough to go for the whole long weekend (Friday-Tuesday) and it was such a fun time, without all the gross stuff you associate with Mardi Gras, I assure you. All that to say, it has a special place in my heart.]

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...