Monday, March 7, 2011

High Hopes

It's funny the things you put your hopes into in a day. Case and point: my evening yesterday. Erin and I had signed up to attend a play put on my the United Methodist Conference called Parchman Hour. The play was about the young Freedom Riders who came to Jackson, were arrested, and taken to Parchman (The maximum security prison in the the state. I've driven by there and it is one of the eeriest things I've seen). The Parchman Hour was the radio show the inmates created to pass the time. Honestly, my hopes were low for this play because I had no idea what it was going to be like. How silly I was. This play was amazing! If you have chance, please go see it.

Waiting for the play to start
Afterwards, we were starving. The play started at 5 and went til almost 8, so we we're ready for a bite to eat. Our original restaurant choice was closed on Sundays, so we went to Sal and Mookie's (where we coincidentally went before another Freedom Rider event a few months ago). The place has always been excellent and their food is good, so I had high hopes. Well... until we get there and wait 10 minutes to even get someone to acknowledge us. I wanted to like the experience, but it was just wasn't good. The waiter was slow, the food was slow, and my sandwich wasn't that hot (I saw it sitting on the counter to be served for about 10-15 minutes before it hit our table). 

Eggplant Parmigiana sub with Caesar Salad
I could understand if it was busy, but for a Sunday night, there were only 20 tables open and most, if not all, already had their food before us. My hopes were a little dashed. 

After paying our tabs and heading to the car, all we could talk about was how good the play was, not the food. Honestly, it was fine that way. You've gotta roll with the punches and sometimes things will surprise you.

Hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...