Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Turkish Delight


There is nothing more comforting that a plate of homemade Turkish food (and you've already seen). I can't explain it. Maybe it's because I know the women worked for days to make the food or all the carbs being eaten at once, but I love going to the Raindrop Turkish House more than anything you could find in a restaurant (for clarification, the RTH is a gathering place for the Institute of Interfaith Dialog, not a restaurant). 
 
While I can't tell you what I ate because I'm still trying to figure it out myself, I'll try to explain each dish a little bit. Bean salad (Piyaz), potato pastry, spinach and sweet potato pastry (Borek), stuffed grape leaves (sarma or dolmas), pea and potato, spicy meatballs over white rice, and a bulgur patty (I think it may be a form of Mercimekli Bulgur Kofte). There was no Turkish baklava (my favorite), but an amazing domed pastry that was much like a dense, cake-like baklava.

Waking up this morning, I feel like I've had the best food hangover of my life. I'm wondering if the ladies have any Borek left over in the kitchen, because I'd be happy to take some off their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...