Friday, February 25, 2011

Keifer's

Ahhhhhhh... nothing says "Jackson" quite like Keifer's. It's quite understandable. The Greek community is the backbone to culinary heritage in the city and Keifer's is no exception. Not to mention, it's got so much character to boot. Not many places can say they have a claw foot tub full of plants in the bathroom. Not kidding. I haven't eaten there in probably six months, but I was really craving it today. Luckily, there's also a second location downtown. It's only 3-4 blocks from my office and I wanted the walk, so I called it in and brought it back to the office.

They are known for their cottage fries, so I was surprised to see curly fries on the downtown menu (not available at the original locale). I ordered those, but I have to say they weren't that great. There was way too much grease and lemon pepper and I couldn't even begin to finish them.

The main dish... the gyro. When you don't have something for a while, you can build it up in your head and you're disappointed when you actually get it. This is how I felt about the gyro. I actually think (actually, I know) I miss Old Athens chicken gyro so much more.

Funny thing is, I got sick after eating it. Queasy, headache, disgusting sick. Not sure if it was the grease or not, but I'm leaning towards the fact that this was the first time I've really had a substantial amount of red meat since our Solstice party before Christmas. Seriously. It may just all be in my head, but who knows.

Here's to hoping for better food adventures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...